Friday, April 23, 2010

"Repent, Harlequin!" said the Tick Tock Man

I am currently using the last of my Blackberry battery, as I have a conversation with my father in Kuantan.

He is talking about his righteousness. His past glories. These days, sometimes he gets things mixed up. I guess, the future is bleak and the past, to him, is as clear as a sunny day.

Clearer than anything. He just realised it's over 3am. He loses track, sometimes.

"Do you know where you are?" I asked him.

"Bukit Kuin."

"Do you know what year this is?"

"19...19..."

My heart sank.

"20...00..10!"

"Ah," I said. Relieved.

He's now recounting his years as a teacher.

He started teaching at the age of 23. He retired at 57. That's 34 years. And the reason I can't misbehave in Kuantan. He taught half the town.

I can do nothing more than just listen to his stories. I can't trap Death in a poker game. I can't make a deal with Hades. I can just listen.

There is some time before I go to bed. Now, I need to fix myself a cup of coffee. Cheers!