Friday, January 28, 2011

Tripping the Light Fantastic

I was doing a job today. Started with me waking at 6.30am, and ended with me falling asleep at 6.30pm.

Strangely, I felt good doing it. It was not simple. It needed a fair bit of patience, focus and presence. The taskl itself was not something I got to do much these eight years. It was complicated, but I think it went well.

And that was just part one. Tomorrow is part two, and my God, it is exponentially more difficult. I have to be constantly on my toes and figure out creative ways to complex problems.

The best thing about this job was the fact that I felt the support from the entire team. They want me to succeed in my job, so that they could do their jobs better. There was no condescencion, no veiled sabotage, schemes being played out - nothing. Everyone was on the same boat, chained to each other. I felt no egoic competition whatsoever. Makes me want to work harder.

Whenever I do freelance work, I always divide them into three categories. There are the fast ones - quick touches to get quick cash. There are long-term ones, which are long shots and require only minimal attention from time to time. And then there are mid-term ones, which combine the blazing speed as well as careful thought and planning of both.

Applying myself, my brain, my skills, to pull it off the best I could, are some of the things that make it worthwhile. That, and I get to meet new people all the time.

So. Things are going great. Better than expected.

So I went to a massage parlour and got some extras.