Tuesday, October 5, 2010

And I Hear the Gentle Beating of Mighty Wings

"I do not understand," I said, revealing my youth. "Why do they do it?"

"They are trying to fill holes in themselves," she said. Her eyes looked like it has seen a few hundred thousand sunsets. There is perhaps a sadness, a crack, but it was barely discernible, if it was ever there.

"And I did everything I could, right? There's nothing else I can do?"

"Why you don't you just enjoy the show?"

I walked with her, for a bit. She didn't have to answer me. I have done everything I could, short of hurting myself.

"You know that if you do anything," she said, "Be prepared for them to turn around and say, 'I've done all you told me to, and now my life is like this and it's all your fault'."

And I know that she's right. Some things, most things, are best discovered on their own. I myself never took to what others have told me, only believing the advices I have been given after I have experienced it myself.

Maybe it is time for me to listen to her, for once. She is one of the few.

As I walked with her, I heard the gentle beating of mighty wings...