Monday, March 29, 2010

Rubicon

After work, today, I went to see some friends who needed some help with some creative projects.

The bane of all creative projects is budget. With a big enough budget, I can give you Avatar. I can give you Avatar, and each ticket would give you a million dollars in the form of a gold elephant. Wrapped in silver, diamond-encrusted banana leaves. Whatever.

There are no shortage of ideas in Malaysia. We are blessed to be quite creative people.

I have spoken to a lot of people from different backgrounds, doing different things, and they all have these wonderful ideas. Some are conmen, but you can't have a thriving civilisation without your fair share of con artists.

For me, it's simple. I am lazy. So I figure out the best ways to do things with the least amount of energy. If I can figure out a way to eat without moving my mouth, I'd do that.

Now, the problem is that creative people often have no money, because they spent it all on comic books and hookers. At least, this is true for me.

The challenge being in the Malaysian creative industry, I find, is not to be creative, but to be creative within insane budget limitations.

It's a puzzle, and I love solving puzzles.

Tonight's meeting was fruitful. The only thing I need would be people to bounce ideas off.

I am not really doing it for charity. There is a cut in it for me. I'm not that fucking noble. However, money is secondary. I do it mostly for two things - there are people who depend on me, and I need to exercise my brain.

There are families to consider. Individuals as well. I am at a stage where I can open doors for people, and I do that. Because at one point, other people opened doors for me.

Shooting the bull, I can do that any time of any day.

In fact, if I can't apply my brain on something, I get tired and bored. When I get bored, I can do really nasty things. Same applies when I'm dead tired or over-exert myself.

I hope that at least some of these projects see the light of day. And that some families can be fed. I hate families. The notion of marriage makes me sick. But hey, what can you do?