Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Ideas of March

I spent the past two days sleeping, eating and giving advice and consultation to people.

I'm the best at what I do. And apparently, these past few years, what I do is mostly give advice to people. Give people ideas.

Tonight, I was consulted on some court matters and legal proceedings, which is kind of strange, because the only time I was in court, I lost. But I did watch a lot of Boston Legal, The Practice and L.A. Law.

Then, it was time for coffee and some people asked me how to start a business. The conversation got so good, that I'm thinking of helping the guy set it up myself.

The past few years, I have been giving free advice and consultation on TV shows and movies. Yeah, that's right. Free. That's how I got into the business. I didn't want or need the money back then. I was jobless, broke and whatever, but I didn't ask for money. I just gave ideas and advice the best I could.

I was following in the traditions set by people like Zainal Alam Kadir and Yasmin Ahmad. Great minds. If I had a problem I can't solve, I usually went to them. And they gave me insight, advice and information for free.

When giving ideas, it is important to realise that you are not giving it to show how right you are and how wrong other people are. It's not personal. It's not about you. I have met and listened to a lot of people with half a brain who could have had a full mind, if they were not so spiteful and bitchy and downright stupid. Pardon, but your insecurities are showing.

In journalism, we help each other out. Need a number? Call me up. I'll give you my contacts, because at one time, some other people gave me the contacts. The contacts are not mine. I don't own Maxis, Celcom, MCMC and I am not the people who pay the bills.

There are some numbers, though, which upon express wishes from the owners, I withhold. That's because they asked me due to privacy matters. ACtually, whenever I can, I call them first to see if it's okay to give their numbers. That's the least I could do.

I'm not precious about my ideas or information. Though I must say that nowadays, I need to protect them more and more. SImply because at least one company stole my and my partners' ideas. Small matter. What they stole was a cheap imitation of the original.

I'm not gonna stop giving advice and thoughts. People who are more unscrupulous in their dealings with me eventually self-destruct, because if there's one thing you need in this business or even in life, is good mojo. Karma, or whatever the fuck.

Oh yes.

I mean, I was just giving ideas to some people, and one day, they simply gave me money. Cash.

"I don't feel good, talking to you and getting all your ideas, and not paying you for at least your time," they said.

Well, thanks.

I don't give ideas for money. Didn't do it then, and not now. I took the money, of course. I do charge for my creative services, though that instance was special because I didn't, wasn't, and they simply gave me cash.

I find that with ideas, the more you give, the more it grows. There has been many instances when ideas simply pop from my mouth as I was talking.

People come to me and ask, "Hey, Amir, we're having problems doing this show or that story. What do you think?"

And I'd blab on and on and on. Some of it would be gold. Some are whatever.

I also am not doing it for accolade or approval. Or even credit. Though at times, this can be problematic. There was one time I solved some friends' problems about an art installation thingy or whatever. I gave them ideas at a restaurant, and in the middle of the conversation, this insecure dickhead of a friend simply turned and gave the credit to his talentless other friend.

Well. Fuck you. I never gave them another sliver of idea and they are out of my life for good. I am not a glory-hound, but if anyone tries to screw me over, you're dead. And I didn't have to lift a finger. If I did, they'd be truly dead.

Once, in high school, I was writing lots of short stories. A lot. So a friend of mine asked for an idea. I gave him one, and guided the whole story. He wrote it. It was his story.

When it got published, another 'friend' decided to shove it in my face that I was not the only guy who could have ideas and write stories. As if I thought of that at the time.

I never corrected him. Because yes, everyone has ideas, and anyone can write stories. Most importantly, though, was the fact that this other 'friend' was a dick, and if I corrected him, he would learn from his mistakes and be a better person.

I do give things away for free, but I am not that charitable. If you are a dickhead, or simply being a dickhead to me, I just would step aside and allow you to live as an asshole. It's not that hard. And then, I let go.

Anyway, I feel good tonight. I was also giving advice on living a happy life, and I realised my mistake last week.

There was a time when I was spoiling for an epic fight. I let that affect me, and the result was that I got bored. Bored and tired, cause anger and hatred only saps your energy. Best way is not to get angry. Just get even. WIthout emotion. They can't fight empty space, and we are all as vast as the universe.

Oh well. Tomorrow, I got work. See you then. Cheers!