Sunday, March 14, 2010

Fame

A lot of my friends are now into performing arts. They're bankers and engineers by day, and then by nightfall, they go and act in plays, sing or dance.

I just saw the 2009 remake of Fame, which is lame.

Remember it's lame - LAME!

The editing's choppy as hellll

And the movie has no direction at all!

Remember it's lame - LAME!

SO anyway, yes, a lot of my friends are now doing theatre, or acting in movies. I don't know why.

I used to act. Surprise! I was one of a trio of my school's only acting troupe, while I was there.

Here's how it worked out.

The school would have a function on a Sunday. On Friday, the BM teacher would ask us to stage a play on Sunday.

Which meant, we had half a day to write a script, and one full day of rehearsals.

Needless to say, the productions were awful. The most revolting things you could ever see on stage.

Some of the stories include deviant teachings, with me as the devil, and always topical of the event at hand.

For props, we just used whatever we found at the hostel and the any junk from the storeroom.

All the adults had to smile, laugh and generally tell us that we were very talented. No matter how bad it was. So, we did even worse productions.

The kids? Well, they seemed to have enjoyed it. I don't know why. Maybe they were happy it wasn't them on stage. That it had to be these three fools.

We won the 1995 inter-school drama competition, simply because the other schools staged even worse crap.

I remember one where they had Keris Laksamana Bentan, complete with syrup-in-a-plastic-bag explosions, to simulate blood gushing out.

I was backstage, when some of the kids from the other schools were crying because their costumes got wet. With sticky syrup.

All in all, the school theatre scene in Seremban, back in the 90s, was quite horrible. And pathetic.

The only semblance to real productions with a proper budget were the ones done by KaTaK. Yes, Tunku Kurshiah College. Where rich people's daughters go.

They always stage Shakespeare, like how their brass band always play M Nasir. Boooooriiiiing.

Like Stepford Wives boring, without the hotness.

I mean, KTJ had better-looking chicks. In my day.

And that was my one and only experience with fame. Now, I'm blissfully anonymous.

We are many. We are strong. We are anonymous.