Monday, September 27, 2010

Cones and Rods

I find it easier talking to people from the Western world. When you talk to anyone raised primarily in Western countries, it is best to look at them directly in the eye.

Asians, we tend to look at other places, because looking directly into one's eyes is sometimes considered rude. I made that mistake when I came to KL. Manye people became uncomfortable when speaking to me cause I fixed a straight gaze at their eyes.

Some, were accusing me of trying to disern whether they are lying - and they usually do lie.

The thing is, when you look at someone's eyes, you can decipher a few things.

A dilated pupil means that the eye wants to take in more of its surroundings, or even, the subject in front of it - you. A constricted pupil means a physical rejection. Fear.

When the self is accessing the brain's creative side - the left (or is it the right?) - the pupils would involuntarily move to the upper left (or is it right?) and when acessing memory - the right (or left), it goes the other way.

It is not an exact science, but I have found it useful to glean useless information, facts and truths.

For example:

1. People lie. A lot.

2. People are afraid. Of many things.

Right on. Time to get back to work.