Friday, October 15, 2010

Chinese Whispers

When I was in school, one of my teachers told us to stand in line and she whispered one message to one of us at one end. The guy then whispers the message to the guy next to him and so on.

By the end of the line, the message always gets garbled and twisted.

Fascinated, I dedicated a large part of my life to observing information flow.

At the end of the day, deep down inside, I hardly trust anyone simply because people have no capacity nor patience to listen perfectly and preserve the integrity of the message without inserting their own bias and imagination into the equation.

At some point, I gave up. I shrug my shoulders and move on.

Looking at my parents, who spent 45 years together, I also realise that it is impossible for anyone to know anyone else. Not completely.

This is the world we live in. These are the rules.

Me? I'm just a barbarian. I will carve a kingdom with my own two hands and wear my crown on a troubled brow.

At the end of the day, it's just me, baby. The sanctity of information and data lies solely with me. I can't trust anyone else with it.

I walk alone, motherfucker. Except for times when I have a Thai girl in my arms. And she melts into me. Yum!