Sunday, October 17, 2010

Freedom Floater: Religion

I just came back from watching some documentaries at Freedom Film Fest.

One documentary in particular caught my eye. It is about the cow's head protest issue and the temple relocation thing.

It is a good documentary which balanced the issue really well.

I believe that issues pertaining to religion in this country will one day cause a lot of bloodshed, if it hasn't already (some events come to mind).

The problem is (and this is not covered by the documentary but my own musings), people - all of us - are so hung up about what other people think of our beliefs.

Why?

If you believe in what you belive in as The Truth, why bother?

1. If it is The Truth, it is The Truth. Nothing people say or think can change it.

2. You can NEVER change people's minds, when they have made up their minds about you or other things.

So give it up, already.

I mean, in a world where everybody believes in what I believe in, I would have a horde of nubile young women sucking my dick right now. Because I believe that a horde of nubile young women should be sucking my dick right now.

I do not agree with what a lot of people believe in. Deep down inside, I think that what other people believe in is wrong and sometimes stupid. But that does not mean I would go and stop them from believing in whatever they believe in.

That would go against my notion of freedom.

For example, I do not believe anyone knows EXACTLY what happens after we die. But if some people believe that they do, I might mock them in my head, but I have never stopped them.

In fact, I'm with Lucifer on this.

"I have never made any one of them do anything!"

- Lucifer Morningstar, The Sandman Comics (Season of Mists), by Neil Gaiman.

That's what I don't get. I mean, I can't control what I feel or think, but I can control my actions. To condemn me - as some have - on what I think and believe in is akin to the thoughtpolice in Orwell's 1984.

I have thought of many evil things about other people's belief systems. For example, stuff like "I don't drink alcohol, but I will take this bribe." or "I don't eat pork, not regularly, but I will drink alcohol."

To me, these are contradictory and stupid. But at the end of the day, they are just my beliefs, and most of the time, I keep it to myself, unless I am surrounded by trusted friends.

Remember:

I have never made any one of you do anything.

I absolve myself of any responsibility or authority on what other people think or say or believe in.

I am just one man. A very good-looking man, but a man nonetheless. Your life, as well as your death, is your own.