Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Heat Vision and Jack

I KNOWWWW EVERYYYTHIIINNGG!

I just spent three hours reading Wikipedia. I have read about bourbon whiskey, string theory, rare-earth magnets, Jersey Shore, Moon hoax, Biker Mice from Mars, Jem and the Holograms, pykrete, almost all of the James Bond movies, Photon, Highwayman, Care Bears, Blue Thunder, Airwolf, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Pogo (comics strip), photon-based microprocessors, and a few other unrelated stuff.

I have no idea when knowledge of any of these topics - IF ever - will come in handy.

And the title as well as the first line of this post refers to the pseudoseries Heat Vision and Jack, with 'former astronaut' Jack Austin played by Jack Black and his talking motorcycle Heat Vision, voiced by Owen Wilson.

But you never know, right?

While researching for the movie Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa, my days of playing old naval games as well as my knowledge on the subject of ancient shipbuilding helped me strike up conversations with the expert.

"There's no way the Romans could come here, right?" I said. "I mean, with their triremes, quadriremes and quinquiremes, they can only hug the shores."

"Nope," said the expert. "They'd have to travel by land to Spain, and order ships from there for any chance. Say, how did you know about triremes and quadriremes and quinquiremes?"

"I played them in a game. Now, how about the Venetian Galleas? Would that fit the time period?"

However, these opportunities are rare and so far between.

I have read about all the battles Muhammad commanded. Badr, Uhud, Khondak were three very classic lessons. There were other fights and skirmishes, but those three take the cake.

Not to mention the Battle of Sekigahara and other junk.

My extensive knowledge of junk is so amazing, it amazes myself. Doesn't make me or anyone smart, doing this. Just makes us very sleepy and our necks very stiff, after a few hours of devouring information.