Sunday, January 8, 2012

Malaysian Psycho: Gandhi (the film)

I do not know Gandhi. Never met him.

And when I was small, I read about Mohandas Gandhi in a children's encyclopedia (we have several sets which my father ordered from Reader's Digest. I read them all).

The books catalogue the life of such luminaries as Clara Barton, St Francis of Asissi, George Washington Carver, Marie Curie, Samuel Clemens and John James Audobon. Gandhi was one of a few stories.

Then, one night, I saw the 1982 movie Gandhi on TV2. It was at 12 midnight, same slot as when I saw Goodbye Mr Chips (1969). It ran for too long, of course. 3 hours, and my father was pissed.

But I watched that movie, and I thought to myself, "Hm, that's a strategy."

Gandhi's very being meant that he does not take, but give. I see many businesses that are confined in their corners, without a means to grow outward because they believe in taking, not giving.

I believe that when you come from taking, others will clutch on to their purses even tighter. Give. Give, give, give. How much can they take anyway, before they start giving?

Of course, don't be foolish and give everything away, but come from a position of giving.

Often, what we resist or detest are exactly what we are. We project what is projected unto us. Or is it the other way around?

I have seen and heard people talk derisively of say, Jews, and they behave exactly like the negative attributes they are describing. Substitute Jews with any other label, and what have you?

Gandhi, he gave and gave until the British imperialists could take no more. And he liberated a country. Two, sadly.

The Malaysian Opposition would get more support and get more things done if they took that approach, but then again, the Malaysian Opposition is no Gandhi. No matter how hard they try to be.