Friday, June 26, 2009

Executioner's Song

There were jams in Kuantan.

No, not fruit preserves. Traffic congestion.

It delayed our arrival at home.

The dinner deadline was looming.

So we rushed into the kitchen with ingredients.

My sibling did the Fusilli with chicken and mushroom, without the mushroom. We couldn't find good button mushrooms, so we did the gravy without the missing ingredient.

I was in charge of the chicken.

My father is a very picky eater, so I planned to combine eastern and western spices together.

I first rubbed the chicken breasts - skin and fat removed - with lemon juice. Made sure every part was exposed.

Then, added a bit of tumeric - I was not sure about this cause I had bad experiences with tumeric before.

Thyme, basil (picked fresh from the plant) salt, pepper, olive oil and chilli powder.

Put everything in aluminum foil and baked it at 220 degrees Celsius for 40 - 60 minutes.

For the sauce, I made salsa.

Three ripe tomatoes, red chilli pepper, yellow chilli pepper, half an onion, thyme and basil are all blended together in lemon juice.

It would have been better if they were chunky, but the blender we had was primitive.

Then, after adding some apple cider vinegar, I chilled the concoction in the fridge.

The result was not bad, but the tumeric ruined the chicken, in my opinion.

Will never mix tumeric with other spices again.

In the end, I made healthful dishes for my father and hope to have lowered his cholesterol and blood sugar levels.