Friday, August 30, 2013

Old Dogs, Politics and Bullshit

They say the best way to learn something new is to do it yourself.

These past two weeks, I did almost everything I have never done before. I filled in forms - I FUCKING HATE FORMS! - I used Excel - I FUCKING HATE EXCEL! - and I did something I haven't done in a long while, which is keep on working without sleep for a few days.

Way back in 2008, I was hospitalised for kidney stones that formed probably due to my habit of consuming energy drinks. I drank a few bottles every day so I could forego sleep and plow through writing a million words a year. I was also extremely stressed out.

Back then, I attended four to six meetings a day, did 10 proposals a week and I was writing movies on weekends. Not a single shred of personal time was enjoyed, except when I went to Thailand. Going home to Kuantan was no refuge - it was hard work. That year, just to stay sane, I went to Thailand five fucking times.

As I grew older, I found my body growing weaker. I really, seriously believed I couldn't work like I did 10 years ago, or even five years ago.

But this week, after I reached the very bottom of fatigue, and beyond, I found myself energised again. Not delirious with energy, energy, but a kind of crazy calm. Which explains why I couldn't sleep just now. It was 6am and if had I slept immediately, I could have enjoyed two hours before continuing this week's mad hassle.

However, no sleep came. My mind suddenly became clear. My eyesight improved, my sense of smell, keen. My breathing is now easier. I smoke my third pack right now with regulated breathing.  I have passed the threshold.

I know this will not last, and I believe by the end of today, I will be asleep and won't wake up till Saturday night, maybe.

But for now, I am good to go.

In about 30 minutes, I'll be taking a shower and then off for breakfast. Then on to the first task of the day - seeing clients. Yes. Clients. With an S.

You wouldn't believe me if I told you what happened this week. Suffice to say, I may have found an investor for one of my long-term projects, suddenly found a few new clients, rekindled old relationships and a business thing I did months ago suddenly resurfaced. Almost forgot about that, completely.

The book I edited now has a tagline and ideas for a cover.

I also found myself in situations where I could sit back and observe humorous things people do and enjoy the irony, or hypocrisy.

Lim Guan Eng 'suggesting' a ban on Tanda Putera, for instance, when he should not have jumped on the anti-freedom of speech bandwagon. I thought that was full of BN people. But it goes to show how even a perfect person as Lim Guan Eng can react emotionally, personally and in such a petty manner when his own father is rumoured to have been depicted as peeing on the Malaysian flag in the movie.

What a fucking asshole. Nobody gave a shit about Tanda Putera until Guan Eng reacted so fearfully of the movie. Now, I'm gonna watch it, you're gonna watch it, everyone's going to watch it. Thanks a lot, you fucking nincompoop.

And this PROVES! Beyond a shadow of a doubt, my predictions that when Pakatan Rakyat takes over in 2018 or 2023, we will have the same old bullshit as we are having right now.

Oh well. I got more important stuff to do than talk about Guan Eng. So maybe I'll write about him and Tanda Putera later.

For now, there's that shower and that breakfast before I go and deal with today's tasks. Yahiya Chouhada!