Monday, April 26, 2010

Toxic Crusader

Contrary to unpopular belief, I am not God's gift to journalism. I am God's gift to women, cause I was born on International Women's Day, which also happens to be Datuk Seri S Samy Vellu's birthday as well.

Anyway, when it comes to the vaunted, oh-so-glorious discipline that is journalism, I am just a small-time hack.

I am a barbarian. I live by the swamp, and I die by the swamp. That's what I am - Swamp Thing. I'm a Toxic Crusader.

Toxic, Cruuuusaders! Toxic, Cruuuusaders!



Anyway, while I believe that race-based breakdowns of voters and buyers have always been a staple of political analysis when it comes to elections, I do not agree with it.

That practice simply shoves people in boxes, creates divisions and also breeds distrust and hatred.

During the post-morterm (and even ante-mortem) of the Hulu Selangor by election, I predict that there will be breakdowns based on race.

"Oooh! The Chinese supported Zaid Ibrahim. The Malays supported BN."

It is something that divides rather than unites, I believe. Well, it could also unite, but the divisions and walls will be much more pronounced. Am not saying it didn't go down that way, or saying that such analyses are wrong.

Or that any one party or biased media are the lone perpetrators or users of such things.

Am just saying that here lies another example of things that could very well run counter to a stronger society. Just a thought. Then again, what do I know? I'm just a Swamp Thing.