Wednesday, May 6, 2009

State of Self-Actualisation

Somebody mentioned to me about self-actualisation today.

Me: What's that?

Him: You may have not studied psychology.

Me: But I did. Informally. But, more steeped in Freud and Jung's theories than anything else.

Him: Well, this is basic psychology.

Me: Oh, really? I only heard about self-actualisation from Prince of Tennis.

Him: ...

Me: State of self-actualisation - when a tennis player opens three ultimate portals inside his mind/soul, so that he can copy anyone's special moves and/or predict the kind of play and where the ball will head. Echizen Ryouma opened all three doors and became as powerful as his father - the tennis player 'Samurai Kojiro'.

Him: ...

The point he was trying to make was that I was and am too high concept for most people.

My references confuse the masses.

For example, when I say, "Can it be beureaucratic horror like Brazil?" I was referring to the dystopian future as depicted in the Terry Gilliam (right?) picture where the red-tape and beureaucracy was nightmarish.

Or "Architectural horror." Which is, HP Lovecraft or Tsutomu Nihei (who did the manga BLAME!)

HP Lovecraft dealt with descriptions of dimensions unimaginable to the human mind, which he describes with some sort of glee.

Tsutomu Nihei's BLAME!, meanwhile, is about a hero trapped in a Dyson sphere (a sphere, a construct that encapsulates the sun to harness 100% of its energy) which the diameter is bigger than Jupiter's orbit.

Oops! SPOILER!

Fuck you. None of you will read BLAME! Cause you suck.

What I need, according to him, is bring it down to human levels. So that ordinary people can understand it.

Man, I will have to go into a state of self-actualisation for this.