Sunday, May 24, 2009

Culture of Pain

We live today in a world where pain is a currency.

"Don't fuck with me, I have a headache."

"I have endured more pain than you."

And? So?

"So I am better than you."

That's still ego, man.

People who have gone through pain feel and think they are entitled.

Yeah. Entitled to more pain. More suffering.

I don't buy it. I do not believe that being in pain or having gone through pain makes anyone better.

So say a rapist stabs himself in the leg. Again and again. Does that make him a better person?

Would experiencing pain absolve any of your sins? Would it make you a better person? Will it enable you to make better choices?

Pain is another source of information. It's not how much information you have. It's how you use it.

I still don't buy that in order for anyone to be fucking fantastic, you need pain.

If it was up to me, I don't want to experience any pain at all.

I already know that, 'Fire, baaaaddd!' And that jumping off a tall building with no means of support could be painful. So no, man. I'm not doing any of those.

But to subject myself voluntarily to pain for no other reason than inflating egos and trying to be better than anyone else?

Bullshit.