Friday, March 11, 2011

Vagabond: Where Do We Go From Here?

Some people have been asking, what's next? After Merong, of course.

Well, I quit my job to focus on my writing and production work. I'm currently doing a documentary with an extremely good team, as well as a travelogue.

I don't know what will happen tomorrow and where the wind will take me. Life as a vagabond means I do not know what happens next, and neither do I claim to know.

As far as movies go, well, there are some stories I want to tell. MySpy, Magika and Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa completes a trilogy of films I made with KRU.

One is a comedy, another is a musical and Merong is an epic action adventure, as the hype goes.

I tried my hand doing horror, but I don't think I want to. Things that scare me, REALLY scare me. Like ghosts with no reason, no motive, just existing for the sake of existing, and appearing in ALL your hiding places.

I want to do another Chow Sing Chi homage - a proper one, and I am also interested in exploitation films of the '70s. The grail is to do a Jean-Pierre Jeunet of my own, but I have some ways to go before I can take on that project.

I believe, as with Miyamoto Musashi, I need to constantly pit my work against stronger and more difficult challenges, in an effort to make better work. We shall see what happens. Maybe an opportunity will open up sometime soon. Who knows?