Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Withdrawal: Day 0.5

It's been around half a day since I decided to stop smoking. I will finally stop smoking tomorrow.

For now, I still have a few sticks left in my apartment.

It has not been easy. I write a lot at home, and finding myself without cigarettes constantly between my fingers has caused my mind to erect blocks when writing.

However, I believe that this is temporary, as my body and my brain gets used to the lack of nicotine. I mean, Neil Gaiman, (chaos be upon him) used to smoke. He gave it up AND coffee. Switching instead to tea.

I find that some things work, some things don't.

Thinking about smoking does not help. Thinking about cigarettes, lighters, etc. Watching movies where people smoke, has not been easy.

Reading books work, as it takes my mind off smoking. And whenever I do think about smoking, I remember what Buddha would say. Or what Zen monks said. Especially Hakuin. Or that Hindu dude.

Smoking para[hernalia - ashtrays, lighters, do not work. It causes me to think about smoking. I need to put them in boxes tomorrow. Out of sight, out of mind.

However, I believe that I would have to use everything I have learned so far in life to kick this habit.

Thailand weaned me off desire. Taught me how to throw ambition away.

New Age philosphy calmed me down and slowed my frantic lifestyle.

All the hokey, corny things from Kung Fu Panda to Tao Te Ching to the Rig Veda.

This is me at full efficiency. I hope it is enough. Otherwise, it's time for drugs.