Saturday, January 9, 2010

Why It Doesn't Make Sense to Hate

Chris Rock said it best.

"Whoever you hate, ends up in your family."

"You hate Puerto Ricans? Your daughter is gonna come home with Livin La Vida Loca!"

This is all true.

I used to hate white people. If you're Caucasian, I couldn't wait to kill you. With my spear!

Then, one of my cousins married a Caucasian. A white dude! Then, another! I have to see them every Raya and Chinese New Year.

I was like, "What the fuck?"

And they were nice guys. Came here for the weather, and for the women they love. They did not treat me like a monkey.

Then, I met Sharon Bakar, whom I think is one of the nicest women I have ever met. Then, there was Jordan Macvay, one of the bloggers thing. I scratched his car, once, ACCIDENTALLY, and he was okay with it.

Okay, so some white people are good people.

At one point, I hated gay people. I used to find gay people offensive. I was afraid, coming from an all-boys boarding school, that they were all after my ass. That they wanted to hold me down and rape my sweet ass. And I do have a sweet ass. It's not as big as I hope, but it's supple and firm.

Anyway, yes, I was always wary of gay people.

Then, when I started college, some of the nicest people I met were gay people. The gay community has helped me get to where I am today. If it weren't for gay people, I would be a computer programmer. Maybe a good one, maybe not. But I definitely prefer writing.

At one point, recorded on this blog, I hated married people. Oooh, I hated married people. Because most married people tend to judge me, and I judge them back, in those days.

And then, some married people helped me out.

Okay. Running out of people to hate, I started hating Malays. Ooooh, how I hated the Malays. Stupid fucking monkey breeders. Motherfuckers! OOOOohhhhhh! HATE! AAAAARARRRRFFGGGGG!

And yet, in my time of greatest need, it was the Malays who came forward and helped me out.

My father is sick, back in Kuantan. You know who helped out? My neighbour, who is a Malay breeder. He makes like, 400 bucks a month, and yet he would come to my house often to help rake the lawn and burn garbage and bury our family cat and pick coconuts.

And when I offered him money, he refused it. I had to go and buy groceries and dump it in front of his door.

He was the epitome of something I hated. A Malay who knows nothing but to have children. And yet he is one of the kindest persons I have ever met.

So I can say from experience that it is never a good idea to hate people because of their whatever.

Hate, actually comes from insecurities. You need to be the hero of your story. The story you tell yourself in your mind. That's why you need to dehumanise people and label them as "UMNO fucker" or "PUS-EATER" or Malay Monkey or Cina Babi.

That's why people tell conspiracy stories to each other.

Humility comes from the realisation that in essence, no one is above or below anyone else. In form, you may be superior or inferior to other people. But not in essence. And as Neytiri demonstrated, she does not care what form you take. She will still insert your USB thingy into her USB thingy, regardless whether you are Taruk Makto or a cripple.

It doesn't make sense to hate.

I sex you.