Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Warfarin and Peace

So I went for my INR check today. INR is International Normalised Ratio. It measures how fast our blood clots.

A value of 1 is normal human. A value of 2 means it takes twice the time for the blood sample to clot than normal. A value of 0.5 means it clots in half the time. So on and so forth.

I have this condition called left ventricular thrombus, that developed perhaps after 1/3 of my heart died. After the heart attack, my blood probably went to a hypercoagulable state to prevent the heart walls from rupturing. Now, blood clots have formed in the dead region of my heart.

If the blood clot becomes bigger, and if it is dislodged from the heart, the damn thing can travel to my brain and cause a stroke, hopefully killing me instantly if that happens. Or it could go elsewhere and create many problems.

The standard treatment is either surgery or meds. Meds are usually warfarin and aspirin - a concoction usually separated. Blablabla.

Anyway, Warfarin is sensitive to many things, including vitamin K which is found in leafy green vegetables. Leafy green vegetables are a major part of my diet, my system. I had a fucking system and Warfarin ruined everything.

So I had my INR levels checked and it was 1.2 - way below the targeted 1.8-2.0. So the doc told me to stop eating leafy vegetables.

I had a bit of an argument with the young doctor.

Me: So, wait, you are increasing the dosage based on this reading, correct? So if Vitamin K is a factor, and Warfarin dosage is a factor, if I maintain the Vitamin K levels, all we need to do is adjust the Warfarin dosage, correct?

Doctor: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOOO.

And so on and so forth. Basically, the doctor disagreed and told me to stop eating vegetables. Meanwhile, I was trying very hard not to be a dick.

But anyway, I'll take the doctor's word for it. I now have increased my Warfarin dosage and have given up leafy green vegetables for the next six months.

Now, I need to make sure I don't lose out on the vitamins. However, I can'y take supplements because Warfarin forbids it.

So, for each of these, I'll be upping:

Vitamin A - carrots (I hate carrots)
Vitamin B - oats, etc (covered)
Vitamin C - tomatoes, oranges
Vitamin D - I walk on most mornings
Vitamin E - I use a bit of oil
Vitamin K - minute amounts from whatever, probably garlic and ginger I use as seasoning

Oh well. That's it for now. And that's it for salads until mid-March, hopefully. I don't want to be on Warfarin forever.