Friday, July 10, 2009

The High Cost of Living

Yet another one of my friends have been quarantined for H1N1. Makes me want to stay at home and masturbate.

On another note, a friend's mother passed away today. My condolences. I shall not be going to the funeral, as I believe there would be more useful friends around to help her go through with it.

My gift - the only thing I can give her - is the gift of space. To grieve and to mourn.

I am not pious enough to offer a prayer. And I am not sure where I put my Koran.

But perhaps this quote from Sandman will suffice:

"You are mortal. It is the mortal way. You attend the funeral, you bid the dead farewell. You grieve. Then you continue with your life.

And at times, the fact of her absence will hit you like a blow to the chest, and you will weep. But this will happen less and less as time goes on.

She is dead. You are alive.

So live."

- Brief Lives, Sandman by Neil Gaiman

It is indeed, the way of the humans. Our bodies are designed to last for more than 190 years, but we all die long before reaching that potential.

We all grow old, and then we die. And before that, we will lose our loved ones as well. And they will lose us.