Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Watcher

In a few hours, I will be flying off to Jakarta. It is for work, and I will be lugging a camera around - a video camera - for most part of the trip.

It's amazing that I can I actually get my hands on a camera and handle it for a very distinct purpose.

The goal is to make one or two videos and upload them for a project. I always work backwards. The goal are finished videos, so I would need to shoot a few types of footage to be cut into scenes later. Each scene is at most several seconds long for a fast cut result.

It can also be done by doing a long shoot and then piecing the footage separately. I do not know what I'm going to get, or if I will get anything, but several shots are inside my head.

The video head who - along with another colleague - showed me how to work the camera, suggested establishing shots of Jakarta itself.

I think it will go well with splices of Jakarta people with character, before we even see the tourists in the group - and finally the celebrity. After that, it would be shots of them doing activities, then short soundbites, maybe taken from a master interview later.

If this was a longer programme, I can perhaps set up segments, but that requires more energy and planning.

Oh well. We'll see what happens. This is the first time I am handling a mini-DV camera since 2007.