Friday, June 10, 2011

Vagabond: Time Lapse

These days, I feel like a character from an artsy Japanese comic book. Or a South American telenovela.

I keep asking myself and those around me, "What day is today? What month is it? What year?"

I am losing the concept and feel of time. The 2011 ING planner I got for free in January is now useless. What I do know is that tomorrow, there is a lunch meet and after that a 3pm meeting, with perhaps something at night.

I have deadlines hovering above my head like multiple swords of Damocles.

This is what it feels like, with 100% capacity - something most people never get to, for better or for worse.

When I quit my post as News Editor at The Malay Mail back in February to focus on my freelance career, I know I was getting into this - the chaotic non-regimented freefalling tilt-a-whirl that can be challenging at times.

Since then, a number of people have come to me for consultation and perhaps support as they too quit their companies. I don't know what they want from me. I do not have a media entity that can hire all these people or provide jobs for them, and my wisdom, sadly, if any, is only for me. It only works for me, and not for anyone else.

I can only say that I live and work the only way I know how - fuelled by what I have seen and read in comics, which has become my Bible.

I have many things that need tending to. Some heavy stuff. And some great ones.

I'm just, right now, in the woods, as I clear off one deadline after another. I believe that after July, my schedule will be very clear and I would be open to many more things that will come my way.

For now, though, I just want to stare at this screen, listen to some songs and drool like an idiot.