Tuesday, June 14, 2011

House of M: First Class

I got kids.

No, I didn't breed. I didn't adopt any or whatever. But I got kids. I can look at young adults and I can comfortably call them kids.

Met an old colleague at Devi's Corner today. I told him, "Damn, man, now we're old. We used to be the young people."

One day you go to bed an idealistic 23 year old who just got his first real job. The next, you wake up a 31-year-old who just quit his job.

It all happened in the blink of an eye.

I remember one current online giant, who spoke to me about the Internet.

I was trying to sell him the idea of a gaming platform. Something that can be monetised in two-three years.

Instead, he said, "I'm interested in this thing called blogs."

I told him that night what I always told old people - forget the blogs. Flash in the pan. A fad.

Why? Cause I tried convincing another old person that blogs and other online elements will be significant and was given long lectures how print journalism will never die. I did not recognise that back then as fear.

But this one, he was not afraid, and after listening to my weak cover-up of the potential of blogs, went on and started one anyway.

I'll tell you one thing, though, and this is the Truth. This blog, I have never put any advertisement on it. Nada. Not a single one. And yet of everything, including my degree in computer science, this has been the great moneymaker.

I have benefitted more from this small space on the Internet than any of my other projects, and it is through this, I met my current girlfriend.

Do not restrict yourself to shallow value pegs. Used properly, tools of communication can be extremely powerful.

I have established myself in the periphery of the public consciousness using such a simple tool, and I am deep inside your children, and they will betray you in my name.