Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Secret Agent Man

A dear friend and boss told me that to achieve my goal of retirement, I can do one of two things:

1. Do a successful business.

2. Climb the corporate ladder.

I'm not much of a climber. Any position I filled is usually given to me and I always have a lingering suspicion it is because there's no one else to do the work.

My approach of working the shit out of anything and everything, of hitting things with hard work until it stops moving, is hardly a viable, sustainable or even sound corporate strategy.

Sheer boneheadedness has its uses, but doesn't really work for all situations. I lack the smooth-talking, sales-oriented, conniving shit that defines a lot of successful people.

I refuse to lie, which is bad because everybody lies. I can read people's minds, but have put in place mental blocks not allowing me to capitalise on that.

I understand people, which distresses me because people suck. Ignorance is bliss, I guess, and being the smartest man in the world means I am constantly in despair.

Business? Ditto.

So perhaps the best thing I can do is to be a Secret Agent Man. Or Spider-Man, cause that's what Winamp is playing right now.