Saturday, July 21, 2012

Age of Empire

I heard there are possibly millions of new/young voters who registered in the past four/five years. And then I heard there were only like, five people or some shit who bothered to register. I don't have the actual figures because I couldn't give a shit.

One thing I can tell you is that the next few elections may be decided by a new generation of voters.

I am 32 years old. I am from Generation X, the tail-end of that generation of destroyers. We destroy what we see as flaws in the system. That is what we do.

At 32, I am already getting old. My teeth are fucked up, my health is deteriorating. Before I know it, I will no longer be able to go to polling stations. Gen Y, the younger kids of 31 and below, they will go and vote. They will decide.

As it is, if current trends continue, the younger generation will mostly swing to the Opposition and BN will eventually lose the country in 15-20 years' time. Why? Because BN is not sexy enough. For far too long, those politicians have been too comfortable with the support of the old folks, which is also waning.

Communications and engagement is better on the Opposition side, though sometimes they lie just for fucks.

It is getting better for BN, as they adapt to a new environment - you don't count out those who survived for over 50 years just like that. But I don't see any future for the ruling party unless they engage a more urbanised, youthful, tech-savvy, socially-conscious voter base.

It remains to be seen whether the old guards will be able to make themselves relevant for the aging Gen X, Gen Y and the upcoming New Silent Generation.