Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Divine Comedy: The Kindness of Strangers

I was supposed to hand a treatment to a collaborator today, but my motherboard blew a few capacitors and I could not access the files at all. Stayed up all night trying to recover the data or restart the PC, even using another machine.

In the morning, I SMSed the guy I was meeting and told him the problem. I asked for an advance so that I can buy what I need, and then some. I thought he was going to tell me to fuck off.

He didn't, and was willing to try and help me out. He's not going to fork out an advance, but he can get me in touch with somebody who will furnish me with a motherboard I need.

Our meeting was about a few hours away, so I decided to take a nap as I had stayed up the whole night. I woke up at 3pm, three hours late for our meeting.

FUCK.

Today, I'm just a fucking bastard.

I called him up and apologised profusely. I should not have gone to sleep. But he was okay with it, it seemed. And gave me the number of his supplier, who will get me a replacement motherboard.

Spoke to the guy, and he will try what he can.

Now, I'm waiting for him to call me back. If I can get the motherboard, I can get my friend the treatment tonight. If I can't, then it will have to wait a few days.

I felt so bad for being such an ass, and I am rather impressed with how my collaborator responded to the whole situation and how he is willing to help me out.

If I still have access to any sort of PC, I'll post what happens next later tonight.