Sunday, May 27, 2012

I Workout! Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle: Second Weight-Loss Update

I guess I'll do this every weeek instead of every day. The Kilos for Cash NSTP programme started last week on Saturday. Since then, I have lost 7kg.

I have switched to a high-fiber diet, and have started exercising again and just yesterday and today, have managed to bring my cardio workout time to a full hour. That means an hour on the machine at an average 120 strokes per minute, keeping my heart rate at 150bps.

See, it's not how cool you look, when it comes to exercising. It's about technique.

As the world's greatest and sexiest weight-loss guru, I can tell you two things are important while exercising: breathing and heart rate. Everything else is just to support these two factors.

See, you burn the optimum amount of calories at your optimum aerobic heart rate. Mine - a 32-year-old man - is 150-165. I just need to maintain my heart rate at this level and continue moving.

Breathing is also important. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Regulate and control your breathing to adjust your heart rate and minimise the build-up of lactic acid in your muscles or any oxygen debt. I am hardly out of breath at the end of my 60-minute workout sessions because my oxygen debt is small due to my controlled breathing.

I break down the 60-minutes into three parts. The first 10 minutes is just for me to get my heart rate up to at least 150. I do this by increasing resistance gradually. The next 40 minutes is maintaining this heart rate by manipulating the resistance level. The final 10 minutes is just to cool down.

I don't warm up as being on the machine for 10 minutes is a warm-up exercise. But I do cool down and take those stretches seriously, since I usually suffer from night cramps if I don't do a cooling down stretch.

Of course, everyone's bodies are different and their nutrient needs and exercise styles are also individual.

I find that I don't like doing group exercises and prefer to be left alone so I can control the rhythm of my workout.

We shall see how I progress over the next 12 weeks or so. My goal is to become an underwear model.