Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Use Your Illusion

While I continue my amazing creative journey and the road to recovery, I am also setting up something to pay the bills as well as fulfill another part of my passion - strategic communications.

Been in the media for 10 years by June or May, and there are some things I still want to do in that field. The past decade have been mostly me taking a tour of all media platforms, from traditional print to new and social media.

I worked with newspapers, magazines, TV, film, new media blablabla and whatever I could get my hands on. If it's something I've never done before, I am most likely to try my hand at it, so as to get a better understanding of how things work - how communication works.

With new media, a lot of people try to use it as they did with traditional media. A lot believe just getting some voices and viewpoints out there is enough. That, to me, is just the first step. To have an effective communications project, there are a lot more variables in play.

Simply bullying or steamrolling your perspective forward is incomplete. The Internet is a chance to practice true democracy and opening things up for multiple voices, no matter how stupid or ugly those voices may be.

The problem with freedom of speech is that you also have to allow perspectives or viewpoints you find distasteful or downright dangerous. Neil Gaiman said that years ago, or something to that effect. A Buddhist point of view - true Buddhism, not the cheap imitation Buddhism we see often these days - works very well.

I believe all I have done all these years has contributed something for my stuff. We shall see where this will take me.

For now, rest and recuperation. One thing at a time.